Responding to Verbally Aggressive Customers
This course is designed to equip staff with the necessary skills, techniques and confidence to deal with customers who are angry, upset and challenging.
It will help them to resolve situations proactively, to maintain positive relationships and continue to deliver a professional and caring service when subjected to strong emotions in others.
At the end of this course delegates will be able to:
- Understand the hidden rules of verbal aggression and to be able to adopt positive mindsets in response
- Recognise when a situation may be turning difficult
- Use proven tools and techniques to defuse those very challenging situations
- 1 day/In house or consultant facilitated virtual training session(s)
- Our own experiences and how they affect us
- Recognising the early warning signs
- What are they after (the importance of having a clear outcome)
- Exploring what works and what doesn’t (and why)
- Understanding impact and influence
- Choosing a positive mindset, not being the enemy!
- Some hidden rules of verbal aggression
- Bait and how it is used to get you hooked!
- A brief introduction to the Parent/Adult/Child ego states (Transactional Analysis)
- Staying calm, breathing and demonstrating empathy (Emotional Intelligence)
- Understanding Confidence Levels
- Focussing on the key verbal, vocal and visual communication
- How Hostage Negotiators influence their ‘customers’
- Deflecting and redirecting verbal attacks (Verbal Aikido)
- Preparing for a future difficult encounter
- Taking the Learning Forward