Conducting Effective Appraisals
This course is designed to develop the skills and confidence of people managers to plan and conduct effective appraisals.
At the end of this course delegates will be able to:
- Plan and undertake a structured performance appraisal in line with your organisation’s appraisal process.
- Be clear about how to review performance and set new targets.
- Avoid common pitfalls associated with appraisals.
- 1 day/In house or consultant facilitated virtual training session(s)
- Why appraise?
- Experiences of good /bad appraisals
- Issues and concerns around appraisals
- Process overview
- What you should appraise
- Job performance and targets
- Personal development
- What should not be appraised?
- Job Appraisal checklist
- Collecting relevant evidence and data
- Preparing yourself and the appraisee
- Exercise – collecting evidence and preparing for the appraisal
- Establishing the right climate
- Conducting the appraisal
- Active listening and effective questioning
- Giving constructive feedback
- Inviting feedback
- Identifying learning needs
- Setting SMART objectives
- Closing the appraisal
- Setting objectives and preparing development plans
- Giving feedback
- What to do if the appraisee doesn’t agree
- Transferring learning back to the workplace
We are a leading edge provider of leadership and management development interventions, talent assessment services and formal training courses.